Wednesday 6 February 2013

“I’ve been homesick for a country I’ve never seen and longed to be where I couldn’t be”


Gale Cengage pinpoints Cheever’s “Speciality is the American male’s confusion of identity and loss of social equilibrium” he write characters who are struggling with themselves and struggle with the world around them for example Neddy in The Swimmer, who appears unable to come to terms with his social decline.

Hanif Kureishi describes Cheever as a “never content with himself”, “a loner who loved both men and women …made his crazy…since it was convention for a young man to make a choice”. It seems to me that the characters and writer seem to share a few qualities, but the question is does this distract from the narrative itself.

As an ignorant of Cheever until starting this module, I began reading some of his stories and was caught up in the honesty and truth of them. This I believe comes from Cheever projecting his own feelings onto his characters, something I think is unavoidable for a writer anyway. But by Cheever having his own internal struggle he creates a real struggle for the character which give them authenticity.

The weakness and flaws of Cheever are the reason his writing is so successful because they are the weakness of so many people then and now to different degrees that they become timeless and relatable. So I think the intimate relationship Cheever has with his character only heightens the effect of the stories.





Arrange and compose, Your audience is waiting…

2 comments:

  1. I found this interesting, as your making the point that for a narrative to be captivating to the reader it needs to be real and therefore the writer themselves needs to have had suffered in some way or another. This is a really good point and one which is often true for many great writers. Only thing I would do with this post is check through it as there are a couple of grammar mistakes I picked up on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make some really good points in this, I agree that it is unavoidable for the writer not to project their qualities onto characters. I particularly agree with your final paragraph and your point is put across rather well in this bit - a good summary.

    ReplyDelete